It is important to mulch your garden, mulch helps to stabilise soil temperatures, ads high levels of nutrition, minimise weed growth and retains water. It also freshens the look of your beloved garden.
Benefits of spreading mulch:
- ads essential nutrients to the soil
- helps lock in moisture in the soil and minimise the water usage in your garden
- keeps your garden low maintenance as mulch prevents weeds from growing
- is a highly cost effective way to increase the appearance of your home
Tips to spreading mulch:
1. Remove grass weeds and dead plants before mulching
2. Put in any new plants prior to applying mulch
3. Mulch layer should be approximately 75-100mm thick
4. Avoid piling mulch against trunks/stem of trees as the acidity of the fresh mulch can burn young tree trunks and lead to collar rot
5. Add mulch regularly to maintain required depth, as mulch will slowly breakdown
6. Mulch left in bags or piles can begin to decompose, especially if it has a high moisture content and is without much air. If this happens, spread it around and let it dry for a week or so before applying it to your garden.
7. For vegetable gardens it is recommend to purchase fertilised mulch rather than using wood chips. Having a load of wood chips delivered to your home is a very cost effective solution to locking in moisture but be careful as it can bring with it weeds and other contaminates.
On a daily basis we accumulate anywhere between 5 and 30 cubic metres of mulch and mostly give it to landscaping centres and donate it to schools. We deliver free loads to homeowners located within the Boroondara, Stonnington and Monash Council areas (delivery fees may apply for those located outside these areas). For all mulch enquiries, call 0478 896 636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - be sure to include your suburb AND a contact number for prompt delivery. Please note: minimum delivery is 10 cubic meters.
Founder of Treeincarnation